Thursday, July 08, 2010

When life gives you loads of flatbread...make fattoush! We spent a fantastic Fourth of July weekend in Toronto visiting our friend M and her family. M's brother-in-law works in an Afghani store, baking incredible treats to be sold and to be brought home to his family (and shared with guests!) We came back to NYC with a sack full of Indian snacks, the most delicious baklava I've ever had, and several 3-foot long loaves of flat bread. I love bread as much as the next person, but even this was a bit much for Mark and me to consume all on our own before it was going to go stale, so I got a chance to make something I'd been dying to try for awhile. It includes several of my great loves: bread, olive oil, veggies, salad (a recent fave due to the recent heat wave), my chopper, and using up leftovers creatively. I borrowed loosely from this recipe. No telling how authentic it is since I haven't had the real deal and since it didn't include sumac, but my Americanized version turned out great.

Salad:
1/2 flatbread loaf, cut into small pieces
1/2 head of Romaine, leaves washed and torn
1 tomato, chopped
4 radishes, chopped finely
1/2 white onion
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped

Dressing:
1/4 C lemon juice
1.75 t red wine vinegar
dash of salt
1 t lemon pepper
1 garlic clove, crushed
1/4 C olive oil

Whisk together dressing ingredients. Assemble salad. Coat bottom of skilled in olive oil (very thin layer) and heat on medium heat. Fry bread pieces until golden brown. Mix with salad, pour dressing over and serve.

No comments: